Background Image

A-league Round 16 Recap

Jamie Samuel A-League, Soccer/Football


The Newcastle Jets and Macarthur FC played out a thrilling 2-2 draw on Saturday afternoon.


Tomislav Uskok broke the deadlock in the 21st minute from an unstoppable header off a corner kick. 6 minutes later, after a handball from Liam Rose in the area, the Jets equalised from the spot through Beka Mikeltadze. Newcastle almost snatched a half time lead with Sam Silvera’s effort from outside the box, beating the keeper but rebounding off the crossbar.


On the hour mark, Tommy Oar from a first-time strike from outside the box, scored potentially one of the goals of the year. Off a cleared header, he struck a volley on the first strike, looping into the top right corner to give Macarthur back the lead. However, after conceding a first half penalty, Liam Rose would be the villan again. From a Newcastle cross, a header from Eli Babalj deflected off Rose’s head in the 79th minute. Babalj thought he had won the game for Newcastle in the 90th minute with his close range header, but the offside flag rulled the goal out. As the teams ended up drawing 2-2 in a close, thrilling encounter.


Macarthur face an interesting trip to Melbourne on Friday night, to take on Melbourne Victory who are just clinging on to their top 6 spot. Newcastle also face a trip to Melbourne to take on league leaders, Western United on Saturday afternoon.


Melbourne City snatched a 2-1 win over Sydney FC, with a stunning late winner from Matthew Leckie.


Melbourne City broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute, after Leckie struck from close range, the rebound save from Andrew Redmaine hit the boot of Paulo Retre who deflected it into his own net to open the scoring. City would take this lead into half time.


In the 52nd minute, Sydney FC were back on terms, Milos Ninkovich striking in a corner at the near left post. In the 90th minute Matt Leckie stole the show, releasing a beautiful strike from outside the box that hit the post and went in. His strike stole a thrilling 2-1 win for Melbourne City, moving them into 2nd place.


Sydney FC will look to rebound when the take on the Western Sydney Wanderes (WSW) in next weeks Sydney Derby. Melbourne City face Perth Glory at home on Wednesday, looking to continue this form which has them sitting in 2nd place.


Adelaide United also stole a late winner to defeat the Central Coast Mariners (CCM) 2-1. After a foul in the area by Jacob Farrell,  in the 23rd minute, Craig Goodwin’s penalty was denied. CCM then took the lead in the 34th minute, through Beni N’Kololo’s strike. Giving CCM a 1-0 half time lead.


Adelaide were level in the 52nd minute, from a scramble off a corner kick, the goal keeper was out of position as Hiroshi Ibusuki tapped home the easiest of equalisers for Adelaide. In the 91st minute, Nestory Irankuda struck the decisive blow from on a slight angle from close range. His powerful first-time strike finding the top right corner and winning the game for Adelaide in stoppage time.


This win puts Adelaide up to 4th on the table, as CCM slip to 2nd last at the end of round 16. Adelaide will look to continue this current form, when they travel to face Perth Glory on Sunday night. CCM have a chance to rebound from this defeat, when they host the bottom of the table Brisbane on Saturday evening.



Western United remained on top of the table, after they took care of Perth Glory 2-0 on Sunday night.


Aleksander Prijovic gave Western United the lead in the 37th minute, his low strike into the left bottom corner gave Western a 1-0 lead they would take into half time.


In the 55th minute, Western United sealed the result through Dylan Pierias. After Steve Lustica’s low cross, Pierias was there to tap the ball home and seal a 2-0 win for Western United.


Western United will look to maintain top spot when they host the Newcastle Jets on Saturday afternoon. While Perth face another tough challenge in Melbourne City on Wednesday night.